There’s no excuse to throw away those overripe bananas!
These marbled cakes are so pretty you wouldn’t guess how quick they are to throw together. The recipe is very flexible and can be vegan depending on your choice of milk and chocolate spread. You can even use two bananas without adjusting the rest of the recipe, which will give you a denser, more bananary cake. If I made a Stroud English dictionary, I would definitely put the word bananary in it. And falafeled – but that’s another story.
1 ripe or overripe banana
1 cup milk
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 1/4 cups self raising flour
2 tbsp chocolate spread* or jam
- Preheat the oven to 170ᵒc.
- Mash the banana in a large bowl.
Add the milk, sugar, oil and vanilla.
- Add the flour and mix until just smooth but do not beat.
Pour into a greased or non-stick cake tin.
- Dot the chocolate spread or jam over the surface and swirl into the mixture with a knife, creating a marbled pattern.
- Bake until golden – 25 minutes for a 7″ round tin or 40 minutes for a loaf tin.
*Squeezy works best for swirling – otherwise warm slightly until soft.