Skip to content
This cold weather calls for some serious comfort food. Turn basic veggies into thick flavourful gravy and serve over creamy mashed potato to fire up your body’s central heating!
Ingredients (serves 4)
For the mash:
- 6-8 smallish potatoes, peeled and chopped
- Milk and butter or margarine to taste
For the gravy:
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 stock cube
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 8 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stick of celery, diced
- 1tsp of dried thyme
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Add the potatoes to a large saucepan of salted boiling water. Leave partially covered to simmer for 15-20 minutes while you prepare the gravy.
Combine the flour and cold water in a bowl, mixing well with a fork to avoid lumps. Crumble in the stock cube and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wide pan on a high heat, add the onion and fry for one minute.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes allowing them to brown but not burn.
- Add the carrot, celery, garlic, thyme and salt and pepper to taste. Sauté on a high heat for one minute then lower the heat, put a lid on the pan and leave for 5 minutes until the vegetables have softened.
- Add the flour mixture and soya sauce and stir for two minutes over a medium heat until the gravy thickens.
- Drain and mash your potatoes, adding milk and butter to taste.
- Serve up with lashings of spicy black pepper and chow down!
- Hello from 1st Rodborough Guides!
- The energy of rocks and Reiki
You May Also Like