This simple dish is a one-pot meal that’s cheap, easy, quick, nutritious and bursting with flavour!
The earthy umami of spinach and lentils is cut through with a sharp kick of salty lemon. It’s warming and satisfying and delicious!
It’s also very difficult to get the recipe wrong, which is good if you happen to be a terrible cook.
Lemon and Spinach Lentils – serves 4
Approx. 1 mug / 250g of green lentils.
A similar quantity of spinach, i.e. 1 bag of fresh, 1 tin or 250g frozen.
1 level dsp of curry powder (the cheap yellow blend works best).
The juice of half a lemon.
1 dsp of vegetable oil.
Salt to taste.
- Rinse the lentils then put them in a large saucepan and cover with an inch of cold water.
- Bring the pan to the boil and add the spinach and curry powder.
- Return to the boil then reduce the heat. Partially cover with a lid and simmer for half an hour or until soft. Be careful not to let the pan boil dry.
- Turn off the heat, stir in the vegetable oil and add salt to taste and plenty of lemon – don’t be frugal! Go for it!
- Serve with warm, buttered pitta bread. It really is that simple!