Here’s a really quick, easy and cheap winter warmer. The recipe is so adaptable that it can easily be turned into a range of dishes.
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon of tomato puree
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 pint of your favourite stock
8oz red lentils, rinsed
Half a jar of sundried tomatoes, chopped
Maggi liquid seasoning or vegemite
- Gently fry the onion and garlic in the vegetable oil for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree and cinnamon and fry for 2 – 3 minutes longer, stirring all the time to prevent burning.
- Add the stock and the rinsed lentils with a dash of liquid seasoning or teaspoonful of vegemite for a lovely savoury taste.
- Simmer gently for 20 minutes stirring occasionally and adding more water if necessary until the lentils are soft.
- Towards the end of cooking drop in the sundried tomatoes.
Try these ideas:
- Top with peppery mashed potato for a hearty shepherds pie.
- Layer with a bechamel sauce in a tasty lasagne.
- Slice up a pack of polenta and fry it in a little oil from the jar of sundried tomatoes. Spoon lentils over to serve.